Membership and Annual Dues
Members of the American Chemical Society are entitled to full membership in the Division; non-ACS members may join the Division as Affiliates only.
Obtain the CINF Brochure (pdf), which describes many of the advantages of CINF membership and includes an application to join our Division.
For Your Career
Your job and your location may change several times during the span of your professional career. The most constant element of your career will be your professional society. CINF can assist you with:
- Education and training to keep you at the top of your profession;
- Resources for your day-to-day work;
- Knowledge of salaries, employers, new positions, new publications, and clients/customers;
- Opportunities to contribute to your profession;
- A natural support group to celebrate the highs and to help you through the lows of your career.
CINF organizes symposia on the state of the art in Chemical Information at ACS National and Regional Meetings. These bottom-up programs cover the latest research and trends in Information Technology. Recent symposia include:
- Patent information for small chemical businesses;
- Open Access;
- Virtual high-throughput screening.
Day-to-Day Work Resources
CINF cosponsors CHMINF-L, the Chemical Information Discussion List, on the Internet. With an archives back to 1991, CHMINF-L gives you quick access to a virtual reference desk that is staffed with some of the best chemistry librarians, information specialists and chemists. Join at https://list.indiana.edu/sympa/info/chminf-l
CINF recognizes excellence and outstanding contributions to the Division and to the field of Chemical Information in general with the following awards:
- The Herman Skolnik Award, for outstanding contributions to and achievements in the theory and practice of chemical information science;
- The Val Metanomski Meritorious Service Award, for outstanding service to the Division;
- CINF Lifetime Award, for long-term membership and outstanding service and active contributions to the Division throughout the years;
- CINF Scholarship for Scientific Excellence, rewarding graduate and postdoctoral students in chemical information and related sciences for scientific excellence and fostering their involvement in CINF;
- The Lucille M. Wert Student Scholarship, for students with interest in the fields of chemistry and information to pursue graduate study in library, information or computer science.
CINF's periodic salary and benefits surveys will help you compare yourself to the industry and provide for you a resource for discussion with your management.
The electronic Chemical Information Bulletin (eCIB), is an electronic publication published on the CINF website. It contains news, notes and abstracts to be presented at Divisional symposia before each National ACS meeting, and news/reports from the meeting a month or two after each National ACS meeting. Interviews, book reviews, and other innovative and unique material are also published in eCIB.
To Join CINF:
- Visit the ACS Membership and Networks page. There, one can join or renew a Society membership as well as individual Division memberships.
- For non-ACS members, fill out the Division Affiliate form (pdf).